email: [email protected]
I really shouldn’t comment on this, but based upon the obsession with belly fat on Facebook and Google, I decided that it was on a lot of folk’s minds.Then again, I might have googled “belly fat” once, and these sites are not letting me forget it (do you think they can see me?). So if belly fat is something that bothers you, here my Santa Ynez Valley primer:
1. Do not eat at our great restaurants regularly…yes, this includes, but is not limited to, the new Sides Hardware and Shoes, The Ballard Inn Restaurant, Trattoria Grappolo’s, The Hitching Post II, The Red Barn, Mirabelle, Dos Carlitos, The Vineyard House, The Succulant Cafe, Bell Street Farms, Cafe Quackenbush, Petros, Los Olivos Cafe, Cecco Ristorante, Root 246, Kabuki, ARU, Fresca, Paula’s Pancake House, Paula’s Burger Barn, Ellen’s Pancake House, The Longhorn….ETC….
2. Avoid the incredible bakeries, chocolate shops and ice cream parlors...yes, this includes, but is definitely not limited to, a local favorite, Pattibakes (carrot cake from heaven), Enjoy Cupcakes (Los Olivos….to die for), Solvang Bakery (Now Berkholm’s) and the seemingly endless pastry, ice cream and chocolate shops in Solvang.
3. Don’t swallow, use “spit buckets” when wine tasting…yes, they are there to keep you from getting drunk, but they also serve to curb the carbs.
4. Order wine by the glass, rather than a bottle…why you ask? fortunately for the belly fat busters, more and more of our restaurants and bars are measuring their wine pours, some into these ridiculous little carafes. In the past, a glass of wine in our restaurants and bars was that, A GLASS of WINE. I think this may be an L.A. affliction that has traveled north. Anyhow, I suspect that in ordering by the glass, you will end up drinking less, thus consuming fewer carbs.
1. Enjoy some great hiking and mountain biking….some of the best trails are described in Trails List.
2. Enjoy a bike ride along some of the most popular routes used in Amgen timed trials. For maps and guided bike tours check out Santa Barbara Wine Country Cycling Tours, located in the town of Santa Ynez.
3. Enjoy a good run.…the possibilities are endless, but you might start with part of the annual half marathon route.
4. Get a day pass for one of our great fitness facilities …..our fabulous YMCA, Performance Fitness, All Sport Fitness Center (Buellton).
THEN AGAIN, IF YOU ARE COMING FOR A GET AWAY, FORGET ABOUT THE BELLY FAT, AND EAT, DRINK, RELAX AND ENJOY...
For information on any of these restaurants, bakeries, gyms and services, please do get in touch with me. As always, call or text me at 805.588.3616; email me at: [email protected]